I thought about writing a sort of introduction, as this is the first post, but there’s a reason I never got into writing a blog back when people still read blogs. I know I am bad at it. There are some really fantastic blogs out there that have instructions for projects mixed with glimpses of the writer’s personal life and I am really grateful that people are out there doing that so well in many cases. It is incredible to be alive at a time when you can say to yourself, “How do you make this funny detail on vintage table linens?” or “What kind of conductive material can I use to connect these LEDs to this switch in my cardboard dollhouse?” or, “What are all the combinations of shelves at IKEA that have a width of 60″?” and find an answer somewhere. This is the time to be making things. So, in recognition of my debt to others, I’m putting a few things out there for people to stumble upon.
I’ll start with the road roll up.
I’ve been dabbling in making fabrics on Spoonflower since February. For this project, I used this fabric. If you buy one yard of it, I will get $1.75, but this project could also be made using appliqué to make the roads, or by sewing felt on felt. The listing photo gives you a good idea of the layout if you want to try to make it from things you have on hand already.
This is the fabric as it comes from Spoonflower. I believe this one is printed on Kona cotton. That’s my son, surprised that the car paintings that turned into a file on the computer arrived at our house on fabric.
Cut out your pieces, and then cut one piece of interfacing slightly smaller than the road, plus a second one to go in your garage pocket.
This is the garage pocket with interfacing inside. It is stitched on one of the long sides, then top stitched down.
Next, I put interfacing on the outside of my road roll up. You could also use batting or something else to sandwich between the layers to give it a little heft.
Next, I sandwiched that garage pocket between the two big pieces with the wrong sides facing out and sewed almost all the way around the outer edge , leaving a hole to turn the mat inside-in, and insert the ties that hold it all together.
I then clipped all of the corners to make the mat lay flat, and turned the whole thing so the right sides were showing. Next, I sewed long strips of fabric to make the ties. If I were making this with my own fabric, I would probably opt for elastic instead, but the matching ties do look nice.
Next, I topstitched around the entire edge, and lastly, I stitched between the garage spaces to hold the cars in place.
That’s it! The whole thing comes together very quickly, and makes a very good gift. In fact, all of this has reminded me of how easy it is as a project and that I should make some for a craft fair I’m going to in November.